BY SPECTRUM NEWS STAFF NORTH CAROLINA
PUBLISHED 6:00 PM ET MAR. 10, 2020 UPDATED 4:30 PM ET MAR. 27, 2020
NORTH CAROLINA — County health officials and NCDHHS are now indicating at least 832 people in the state have COVID-19. The death total is now three for the state, and the number of total confirmed cases worldwide has exceeded 560,000.
- Full Spectrum News Coverage: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- LIVE UPDATES: Coronavirus Impacting North Carolina
- Centers For Disease Control and Prevention
So far, at least 15,136 tests have been completed in the state, according to the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services. Of those tests, a little more than five percent have come back positive.
Gov. Roy Cooper announced Friday a statewide stay-at-home order as North Carolina is now considered a widespread transmission state by the CDC. The order will take effect on Monday and last until April 29.
Cooper says the order will be enforced in all 100 counties and has the force of law.
Several counties and cities had issued their own stay-at-home orders in recent days to help combat the spread.
The number of positive coronavirus cases in Mecklenburg County grew to 259 and officials say most cases are due to community spread. Of those patients, nearly half of them are between the ages of 29 and 39. Overall, we’re told most people are complying with the stay-at-home order, however, there have been 1,200 complaints.
The state’s third death was reported in Johnston County. Officials say the person died Thursday and had underlying medical conditions. The patient was in their mid 60s.
“We are saddened to hear of this loss to our Johnston County community and extend our deepest condolences to the family and loved ones. Although most people will have mild to moderate symptoms with this virus, some will have a more severe illness. This reminds us all to do our part to decrease the chance of infection and stop the spread of the virus by following social distancing recommendations and staying home to the extent possible,” Johnston County Health Director Dr. Marilyn Pearson stated.
Thursday, the state also saw a COVID-19 related death, which was reported in Harnett County. NCDHHS says the patient was in his late thirties and had underlying medical conditions.
Raleigh’s City Manager, Ruffin Hall identified the patient as an employee with the city. Hall released the following statement:
“This is an incredibly sad day for the City of Raleigh. We have lost one of our own and our hearts are broken. Adrian Grubbs was a young husband and father, who worked for the City for 17 years in Solid Waste Services. He was loved by his family and friends and a dedicated servant of this community.
“Even during this uncertain time, we are using every resource available to us to ensure the safety and security of our employees and our community.
“We ask for prayers for Adrian, his family, and everyone in the Solid Waste Services Department.”
Governor Declares State of Emergency Over Coronavirus
Gov. Roy Cooper has declared a State of Emergency in North Carolina as fears over a novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak continue to spread.
The state of emergency, according to the governor, allows officials more budget flexibility, quicker access to necessary supplies, and aid in the response to and prevention of further infections.
State officials say high-risk individuals should avoid mass travel and large gatherings, such as concerts, conventions, and church. High-risk residence homes are also encouraged to restrict visitor access.
N.C. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Mandy Cohen says the recommendations are based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, actions already taken by other states, and available information on protecting public health.